Bears end season with win over Dudes

The Bears ended their season on a positive note–with a solid divisional win over the Redmond Dudes, 7-1.

An up and down year, filled with injuries and a sporadic offense at times–this finished a two-game sweep of Redmond to conclude with a 7-32 overall record. They won their last three of four, but finished last in the division. The Studs reigned on top with a 43-6 record.

A five-run inning in the bottom half of the sixth inning gave the Bears reassurance that the win was locked–holding a comforting 7-0 lead. Back-to-back singles from Colton Robinson and Cody Simmons were later brought in on Kealin Martin’s crisp single to center field.

With the bases loaded, the Bears extended their lead on Armond Swanson’s single to right to add two. A wild pitch with Grayson O’Neil up to the plate next had one more cross home to end the rally.

The Bears were led by Cameron Jenkins–not allowing any damage in his last game for the Bears before heading back to North Dakota for his junior collegiate season. He surrendered six hits, but the Dudes were never able to get a runner home.

He ended his night with 5.2 innings pitched, no runs, two walks and one strikeout. A few times Redmond threatened, but Jenkins and his defense did not allow it. In the second inning, with two outs–Jay Castillo ripped a double to right center and the runner at first attempted to make it all the way home to grab an early game lead. But, it ended up being a blunder–as O’Neil hit his cut off man, Robinson, and the second baseman fired a throw home for Simmons to get the tag to end the inning.

Highline grabbed a 1-0 lead in the fourth on Martin’s ground ball double play–scoring Robinson from third. Robinson began the inning with a walk and advanced on a couple stolen bases.

Redmond starter, Cordell Greene, took all the damage against the Bears–yielding seven runs on eight hits. He walked three and struck out six.

The Dudes finally got on board in the eighth. A walk sandwiched in between a couple infield singles from Kyle Strash and Jarek Lownds had the bases loaded. Mitch Albin took ball four, advancing to first to bring their first run in.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *